Chiropractic treatment at Twickenham therapy clinic
Chiropractic treatment is considered a complementary or alternative medicine
in which a chiropractor uses manual therapy to aid in the relief of problems
with bones, muscles and joints, particularly those related to the spine.
First put into practice by Daniel David Palmer, the treatment has been around
since the late 19th century. While it caused debate and controversy back
then, today chiropractic treatment is highly regarded and sought after,
often recommended by GPs.
Chiropractic is most commonly effective in treating the following:
- Subluxations - Misalignments in your spine
- Back/Neck Pain - Difficulty sitting, standing and walking. Muscle spasms
and cramps. Difficulty sleeping
- Joint Pain - Difficulty and pain in moving joints such as knees and elbows
- Shoulder - Dislocated or frozen shoulder, Rotator Cuff injury, strains and
Chiropractic is also known to treat chronic pain, herniated discs, migraines,
sciatica and a wide range of sports injuries, as well as pain related to
osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis in the UK.
What to expect during a session
At your first appointment, we will start with an assessment of your symptoms
to see if chiropractic treatment is an appropriate solution for you, and
if so, which techniques are best suited to your symptoms.
From there we
can move forward with a treatment plan. During a session, you can expect
to be worked on with the following techniques:
- Spinal Manipulation - The chiropractor will use their hands to apply force
to the muscles and bones around the spine, manipulating, mobilising, massaging,
adjusting and stimulating the spine and its related tissue
- Muscular Manipulation - The pulling or stretching of muscles
- Manipulation of Joints - The session will often involve joint manipulation,
in which your joints will be stretched past the normal range of movement
- not enough to cause dislocation or damage, but enough to increase your
range of movement
- Thrusting Techniques - This increased range of movement is often achieved
through short, sharp thrusts with the joints, and is what chiropractic treatment
is most well-known for
- Shockwave therapy - shockwaves are passed into the body to treat problems such as plantar fasciitis
These treatments are not usually painful except for shockwave therapy, but it is possible to experience some small amount of pain during a session. We also provide sports massages in our health centre for soft tissue problems.
As well as the practicalities
of treatment, we also offer more theoretical guidance in the form of exercise
plans and recommendations, as well as health and lifestyle counselling for
your ailments. Our treatment is covered by most private health insurance companies.
Please contact the clinic.